How To Spot Bed Bugs in Your Hotel Room or Vacation Rental
As Vacation season approaches, the Bed Bug Exterminators at Clean Heat Defense in Richmond VA want to give you some quick tips to keep your beach-front bungalow bed bug free!
1. Look Before You Book Your Hotel Room or vacation rental.
The NPMA (National Pest Management Association rated hotels & motels in the top three places reported for bed bugs in 2015. Picking the right hotel is hard enough, so we recommend checking out BedbugReports.com. They make it super easy to check hotels for bed bug reports before you book your room. Check out the reviews on various review sites to see if any guests have complained.
2. Before You Use The Bed in Your Room
It’s always a good idea to inspect your hotel room for bed bugs. Using the Luggage racks in the room make for a great bed bug-safe place to store your luggage while you conduct your search, bathtubs also work great.
Start with stripping the bed and checking the mattress and box spring.
Keep an eye out for: molted cast skins, fecal blood staining, eggs, a musty odor, actual bed bugs. Make sure to check the nightstand, chairs, and any other furniture in the room, bed bugs are very stealthy and can sometimes hide right in plain sight.
3. Consider alternatives to a Hotel.
Don’t want to get bitten by bed bugs, go where the bed bugs aren’t. Services like Airbnb and Flipkey make it easier than ever to book the perfect vacation away from the masses and the critters waiting for them.
There’s a lot of options so we put a list together for you:
- Airbnb: Largest network of hosts.
- VRBO: Second largest network of hosts, great for full size homes and apartments.
- Tripping.com: Aggregates prices and deals from the most popular vacation companies.
- HomeAway: Cares about safety and security, guarantees your stay.
- Flipkey: Part of the TripAdvisor network, including unparalleled reviews of properties.
- Vacatia: Allows you to make payments over time.
- 9flats: Hosts to make you feel like a local.
- Wimdu: Verifies and photographs select properties to ensure quality.
- OneFineStay: In-person visits of homes means quality units and little chance for fraud.
4. Carry an Emergency Bed Bug Kit when you travel
Keeping an emergency bed bug kit, separate from the rest of your luggage is a great way to keep you and everyone around you safe in the case that you are bitten by a bed bug. Making one is quick, and simple.
You will need.
- -As many garbage bags as you have suitcases.
- -A pack of sealable plastic bags.
- -A full change of clothes i.e., shirt, pants, underwear, socks, shoes, etc.
In the case of a bed bug bite:
- Put all luggage (suitcases and all) into garbage bags until it can be laundered.
- Put on change of clothes, place old garments into the trash bags until they can be laundered.
- Trash bags should be tied and sealed until ready to treat.
5. Spead the Word about Hotels with Bed Bugs.
Since 2011 bed bug infestations have been rising steadily, and we here at Clean Heat Defense believe that avoiding bed bug infestations is a group effort. Bed bugs are not going anywhere, so spread the word, and help other travelers and tourists avoid places known to have a bed bug problem.
Are you a Hotel owner in Central Virginia and need bed bug treatment for a hotel room? Clean Heat Defense in Richmond VA offers you a powerful bed bug removal process using heat. We provide a discreet service and get rid of your problem the same day, avoiding loss of room revenue.
If you want a free quote call us today at (804) 913-1000 or fill out the form on our website.